提升你的英语水平!
Upgrade Your English Conversation!
大家好 欢迎来到《emmEnglish》 我是Emma
Hello I’m Emma from mmmEnglish!
讲真 我对今天这堂课真的是“十分”兴奋
Now I have to say I’m extremely excited about this lesson today.
因为我知道你是个“格外”勤奋的学生
Because I know that you’re an exceptionally dedicated student,
所以 这是一节“极其”有用的课
so this incredibly useful lesson,
将会使你的英语水平更上一层楼
is going to help you to take your English speaking skills to the next level.
我今天分享的小技巧将帮助提升你的
The tips that I share today are going to help
口语和写作能力
your speaking and your writing skills
让你的英语听上去更具感染力
sound much more powerful.
那我们应该怎么做呢?
So how are we going to do that?
我们可以使用加强词
We’re going to use intensifiers.
我们可以使用加强词来令你的语言
We’re going to use intensifiers to make your language
表达“程度”时更有张力
more powerful when you’re talking about extremes.
而加强词就是那些
So intensifiers are words that are added
加在形容词之前 用来加强语气的词语
before an adjective to make it stronger.
很简单 你用在任何老套无趣的形容词前
It’s simple, you take any old, boring adjective,
比如说“boring”这个词 加个加强词在它前面
like’boring’ and then you add an intensifier to it.
这场讲座真无聊
The lecture was really boring.
看见没?我敢打赌你甚至不知道你已经学会了
see? I bet you didn’t even know that you already know
如何使用一些形容词性的加强词
how to use some adjective intensifiers.
但是像really和very这样的词实在是太普通了
But’really’ and’very’ are pretty stock standard intensifiers, you know.
它们没法真正展示你的英语实力
They’re not really showcasing your English skills.
举个例子我告诉你我的意思
Let me show you what I mean.
那个店员有些粗鲁
That shop assistant was rude.
那个店员很粗鲁
That shop assistant was really rude.
那个店员极其粗鲁
That shop assistant was extremely rude.
你有注意到每句话中语气 的变化吗
Did you notice how the tone of each sentence changed?
当我们说到句子结尾时 语气突然变得十分强烈
It suddenly became much stronger as we got to the end
所以 加强词在句子中的作用
so the role of an intensifier in your sentence is
正如其名 非常加强
exactly what it sounds like!
加强词是用来加强形容词的
It’s there to intensify the adjective,
使句子要表达的意思更加强烈
to make the meaning stronger.
而这 我的朋友们 能让你的英语
And that, my friends, allows you to introduce
传递出更多的情绪和感受
more emotion and more feeling into your English.
使用加强词可以帮助你
Using intensifiers is going to help you to enhance
强化形容词的词义 突出重点
the meaning of an adjective, to emphasize a point.
当你在说话的时候
They’ll also help you to sound really impressive,
加强词绝对能让你的话听起来十分生动
definitely when you’re speaking,
同样加强词也可以帮你写出
but these intensifiers will help you to write
更加引人入胜的文章和报告
more compelling essays and reports too.
所以这堂课绝对值得大家认真聆听
So this lesson is definitely worth sticking around for.
有些强化词
Now there are intensifiers
起着高度 中度 和轻度的强调作用
that show high intensity, medium intensity, and low intensity.
而这里的”度”指的是力度
And intensity is talking about strength,
也就是说加强词分为
so there are intensifiers that are
加强力度高的 加强力度中等的 以及加强力度低的
high in strength, that are medium in strength or that are low in strength.
我们从高强度的加强词开始
So we’ll start with intensifiers that are high intensity.
高强度加强词会使你的形容词 最强化
So these intensifiers are going to take your adjective to the extreme upper limits
它们的表示的语气非常强烈
of the meaning of your adjective. They’re very strong.
有大量高强度的加强词可供选择
And there are quite a few of these strong intensifiers to choose from.
Extremely
Extremely.
Completely
Completely.
Absolutely
Absolutely.
Utterly
Utterly.
Totally
Totally.
Entirely
Entirely.
Exceptionally
Exceptionally.
Insanely
Insanely.
和 incredibly
And incredibly.
好 来试试看
Okay so let’s test these out.
“Her daughter is intelligent.”
Her daughter is intelligent.
这个句子没问题 但是为了强调重点
So this sentence is okay but to emphasise the point,
我们可以用一个加强词来使语气更强烈
we can use an intensifier to make it stronger.
“Her daughter is exceptionally intelligent.”
Her daughter is exceptionally intelligent.
哇噢 她非常 非常 非常 非常聪明
Wow! She is very, very, very, very, smart.
她最近压力大
She’s been stressed lately.
她最近压力大的惊人
She’s been incredibly stressed lately.
这个测试是困难的
The exam was difficult.
这考试极其难
The exam was extremely difficult.
这响声震耳欲聋
The sound was deafening!
这响声绝对是震耳欲聋
The sound was absolutely deafening!
我们有些疲惫
We are exhausted.
我们精疲力竭
We are utterly exhausted.
因此 所有这些加强词都在诠释着
So all of these intensifiers are at the high, extreme
形容词的最强烈的 极端的含义
top end of the meaning of the adjective.
所以 我想问你
So I have a question for you.
如果你刚在一个小时前吃了午饭
If you’ve just eaten lunch an hour ago,
你能用任意一个形容词
can you use any of these adjectives
形容自己又饿了吗
to say that you’re feeling hungry again?
不 它们的语气强过头了
No,they’re much too strong.
但是 如果你一直没吃饭
But what about if you hadn’t eaten since
从昨天早上算起 已经超过了24个小时
yesterday morning and that was over twenty-four hours ago?
你能用某个加强词吗
Could you use any of them then? Probably,
很可能 因为我知道你已经饿得不行了
because I think you’d be pretty hungry.
那么就在视频下方的评论里写下这个句子吧
So write this sentence for me in the comments
用其中的加强词
below this video. Use one of the intensifiers
来表达你的感受
to explain how you feel
“你已经超过24小时没有吃东西了”
– you haven’t eaten for over twenty-four hours!
你……
You’re…
快!写下来
Quick! Write it! But,
但是请注意
please be careful.
过度使用加强词
It is possible to overuse intensifiers,
特别是这些高力度的加强词
particularly these high extremes,
可能会让你的句子情感过于强烈
so your sentence can really quickly become too full of strong emotions.
听起来就有点夸张
And you’ll start to sound a little insincere.
如果这句子是一个人 它听起来就会像这样
If this sentence was a person, it would sound like this.
“最难以置信的惊人的事情 发生了
The most unbelievably phenomenal thing has happened!
我聪明绝顶到惊人的完美到极致的兄弟
My incredibly brilliant and utterly amazing brother
刚才遇到了一个特别富有的人
just met an extremely wealthy man
他拥有着一家成功到难以想象的公司”
who owns an exceptionally successful company.
这样的表达有点太过了
That’s a bit too much!
放松 别紧张
So just take it easy okay?
说到强化词 少即是多
With intensifiers, less is more.
用一两个真正合适的加强词 足矣
It’s better to have one or two really appropriate intensifiers
用多了反而适得其反 对吧
than to have too many in your sentence, right? Now,
不是所有加强词都是高强度的
not all intensifiers are high-intensity.
正如生活中并不是每件事都极端 对吧
Not everything in life is so extreme, right?
因此我们也用中低度的强化词 来表达
So we also use intensifiers to show medium and low intensity.
有些中强度的强化词很普遍 比如
For medium intensity, these are really common ones.
Really
Really.
Very
Very.
Pretty
Pretty.
Quite
Quite.
和 particularly
And particularly.
这些强化词没有那么有力
So these intensifiers are not quite as strong
也没有那么强烈
and they’re not quite as intense.
但如果你是想稍微强调一下
But they are good to use if you want to emphasise
但又不想太强烈的话 它们会很好用
a point a little, but not too much.
“你的简历令人印象深刻”
Your resume is impressive.
“你的简历令人印象颇为深刻”
Your resume is quite impressive.
“这些甜品很好”
Those desserts are good.
“这些甜品特别好”
Those desserts are particularly good.
“这部电影还行 但结局太暴力”
The movie was okay but it got pretty violent towards the ends.
对于低强度的强化词 你可以用
And for low intensity, you could use
mildly relatively或者somewhat
‘mildly’,’relatively’ or’somewhat’.
这些是低强度的加强词
So these are low strength intensifiers.
它们在形容词不需太过强调的时候 非常有用
They’re useful to emphasise that the adjective is not strong.
假设你昨晚去看了场喜剧秀
So imagine that you went to a comedy show last night
喜剧表演还可以 挺有趣
and it was okay. It was kind of funny.
不过绝对没有你想象的那么有趣
Definitely wasn’t as funny as you thought it would be though.
所以 这场喜剧表演还行
So the show was mildly amusing.
如果只是还行的喜剧
Not much of a compliment for a comedy show
是没法得到太多称赞的
if it was mildly amusing.
让我们来对比一下这些加强词
So let’s compare intensifiers.
“她最近压力大”
She’s been stressed lately.
“她最近压力有一点大”
She’s been mildly stressed lately.
“她最近压力很大”
She’s been pretty stressed lately.
“她最近压力大到难以想象”
She’s been incredibly stressed lately.
看我们怎么通过使用这些强化词
See how we can add meaning and emphasis
让句子突出重点 丰富内涵
to our sentence just by adding these intensifiers?
学习怎么去使用强化词
Learning to use them is definitely
一定会让你的英语听起来更有力量 更自信
going to help your English to sound more powerful and confident.
现在是你的作业时间啦
So it’s time for your homework!
请你在视频下方的评论中
It’s your turn to write some sentences
写一些句子
in the comments below this video.
“我们预计明天天气会很恶劣”
We’re expecting serious weather conditions tomorrow.
你可以看到本句中的形容词
So can you see the adjective in that sentence there?
“serious”对吧?<span style=&qu
དབྱིན་ཡིག་ཆེད་མཁས་པ།